1. House of Imagination – Come face-to-face with 200 lifelike figures from Hollywood, horrors, the old west, history and childhood fantasy at Ripley’s Belie ve It or Not! Odditorium & Louis Tussaud’s Palace of Wax.
2. A Shopper ’s Dream – If you are looking for a deal, look no further than Grand Prairie Premium Outlets. With more than 100 stores offering discounted prices (anywhere from 25 to 65% off regular retail prices), this mall is a bargain seeker’s dream.
3. The Great Outdoors – Roll around Alliance Skate Park, hit a hole in one at the Golf Course, or get wet at Joe Pool Lake – it ’s easy to enjoy the great outdoors here. Joe Pool Lake offers a full-service marina, camping, kayaks, cabins and parks on the lake’s shore.
Alliance Skate Park 972-262-4479. Allianceskateparks.com
Loyd Park at Joe Pool Lake- 972-237-4120. Loydpark.com
Lynn Creek Park at Joe Pool Lake- 972-237-4120. Lakeparks.net
4. A Holiday Tradition – During the holidays, celebrate the season by driving through Prairie Lights, four million lights along two miles of path at Lynn Creek Park’, a 40-day event.
5. A Hole in One – Athletes won’t have to travel outside of Grand Prairie to play a challenging, yet enjoyable, round of golf. Choose from Prairie Lakes Golf Course, featuring 27 recently renovated holes, including Texas’ largest practice area featuring 8 target greens; and Tangle Ridge Golf Club, boasting 18 holes designed by Jeff Brauer of GolfScapes.
Tangle Ridge Golf Course- 972-299-6837. Tangleridge.com
Prairie Lakes Golf Course- 972-263-0661. Prairielakesgolf.com
6. Place Your Bets – Watch world-class Thoroughbred and Quarter Horse racing, featuring a European-style paddock, and live racing on dirt and grass surfaces at Lone Star Park at Grand Prairie.This spectacular attraction features two live racing seasons every year, covers 315 acres, including a one-mile dirt oval and a seven-furlong turf track, as well as accommodations for 1,600 horses across 32 barns.
7. Showtime! Visitors seeking live entertainment need look no further than Uptown Theater Grand Prairie and Verizon Theatre at Grand Prairie. The historic Uptown Theatre in downtown is a playhouse and venue for concerts. Verizon amps its performances up boasting, one of the most technologically sophisticated indoor theaters in America.
8. A Trip to Asia – Take a trip to Asia, without even needing a passport. Asia Times Square & Hong Kong Marketis as authentic as what’s offered in Asia. Featuring 250,000 square-feet of retail space, an elaborate courtyard, a wedding hall, a dim sum restaurant and an electronic store, visitors can easily dedicate an entire day to this cultural attraction.
9. Treasure Seeking – Boasting everything from fair-type food and discounted clothing to antique furniture and vintage curiosities, Traders Village, hosting more than 3,500 vendors in a 161-acre site, is the place for treasure seekers. This local favorite describes itself as the largest flea market in Texas. Come for the shopping, stay for the fun!
10. PLAY BALL! Sports fans enjoy a visit to Quick Trip Park at Grand Prairie, located between Lone Star Park and Verizon Theatre, where the city ’s minor league baseball team, the Grand Prairie Air Hogs, play. The AirHogs, a member of the American Association of Professional Baseball, host 50 home games May through September and the park also features a Wide World of Parks KidZone, a cigar bar and swimming pool.